Senior/Front Office Developer (Trading platform)
Our client uses a wide range of IT technologies across all its offices and also uses a number of leading commercial applications, as well as bespoke applications developed in-house all of which provide a diverse set of opportunities and challenges.
This role will suit an individual who has made significant contributions to projects, preferably in commodities or financial services. The Senior Developer will work in the Front Office IT Applications and Development team, and will be exposed to a wide range of projects and applications in the client’s Oil Division’s Front and Middle Offices. The projects and applications cover a number of areas, ranging from pre-trade Analytics systems, through instrument pricing, to messaging and real -time STP.
The successful candidate will have significant .Net (C#) experience in the full software development lifecycle, and will also have exposure to a range of other environments / stacks (e.g. Python, Java etc.) as well as Angular JS and other modern UI technologies . Exposure to SQL and/or SQL-based development is also important, especially relating to MS SQL Server but Oracle, Sybase ASE 15, and/or Sybase IQ is also of interest.
The successful candidate will have a strong software engineering bent and be comfortable devising and implementing enterprise solutions and be a good all -rounder, with a pragmatic and “can-do” attitude. Though the FO team is Scrum-based, the candidate will be equally at home in Agile and waterfall methodologies. Communication ability will be a key strength. A strong academic background with good mathematical fluency will count in the candidate’s favour. Enthusiasm and an ability to think “out-of-the-box” will also be valued, and knowledge/understanding of commodities businesses will be an advantage.
- Work as Senior Developer in the Front Office Scrum team, delivering high-quality, well -engineered solutions.
- Work with FO Lead and peers to design and develop appropriate solutions to Front Office stakeholders.
- Work with Technical Leads, Developers, Project Managers and/or Analysts and/or users during the course of project delivery. This may include involvement in various phases of the application development project lifecycle.
- Contribute to the overall design process for new projects and applications, and assist in ensuring alignment with the overall IT architecture and helping to develop out the latter to adjust with emerging standards in the marketplace.
- Design and develop applications according to agreed coding standards and quality targets.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Good Computer Science / Sciences / Engineering degree; some mathematical fluency required.
- Significant experience in .Net development and SQL development.
- Experience in working within multi -skilled team, ideally within an Agile environment.
- Experience in Commodities will be an advantage, especially in Front Office-related areas.
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to devise and present practical and pragmatic solutions, in a coherent and articulate manner.
- Ability to develop high-quality and robust solutions.
- Exposure to developing scalable, highly-available and highly-performing middle-tier components
- A solid understanding and demonstrable exposure to C#
- Good technical background in REST-based services and JSON.
- Good technical background in Service Oriented technologies (e.g. WCF, Web API) and message queues (e.g. ActiveMQ).
- Exposure to Push technologies (e.g. SignalR, WebSockets) would be an advantage.
- Good understanding and awareness of modern design and development techniques, and the ability to use them.
- RDBMS design and development, with one or more of Sybase, SQL Server or Oracle-based development being of particular interest.
- Knowledge and understanding of test-driven development, and testing infrastructures.
- Ability to communicate confidently with a wide range of business stakeholders.